Tuesday, June 2, 2009

After a rewarding and exciting career, and 7 years on the Canadian Alpine Ski team, I have decided to retire from World Cup ski racing. I wanted to thank all of you for your generous support over the course of my career. Without your efforts and generosity (emotionally and financially), I would not have had this amazing opportunity and been able to compete at such a high level, including 4 years on the World Cup Circuit and 1 Olympic Games. The memories and life experience I have gained over the last 7 years will never be forgotten.

Many of you were already aware of my decision as I decided to come home from Europe in mid January. I experienced 2 injuries last season including a concussion last October and bone bruises to both my knees in December. I channeled all my resources and efforts into this season but was unable to recreate the confidence necessary to be successful in World Cup Downhill and Super-G racing.

I have started coaching part time at local clubs and I am enjoying sharing my knowledge and giving back to the ski racing community. I am satisfied with my decision and I am excited to move forward into the next phase of my life. I will be going to school in the fall and look forward to setting and achieving a new and different set of goals.

Thank you again for supporting me on this journey and I have enjoyed sharing it with you.

Sherry Lawrence

No comments: